Monday 2 April 2012

Around the Welsh Coast in 14 Days!

I can't believe that it is only two weeks since I started my new role.  It feels like I've been at it for months!

The first week was a great opportunity for me to get acquainted with the NT Wales Office in Llandudno - somewhere I know well already of course.  

At least I could see the sea (over the heads of the shoppers on Mostyn Street) from my temporary desk.  

In case you are thinking that being in the office for four days is not the best way to promote the Welsh coast, it was very useful in that I could start working with the excellent support team that will be helping me once I really get into the job.

As a reward for the indoor-days, I visited our hidden-gem of a property at Glan Faenol and met up with inspirational warden, John Whitley (see previous blog post).  I was disappointed to hear that the Wales Coast Path may not be crossing this fascinating NT-owned stretch of the Menai coast, due to yet-to-be-resolved access issues on neighbouring land.  "All in the fullness of time, Richard", I thought.

Before my next meeting (with CCW Coast Path project officer) I managed a quick visit to the Anglesey side of the Strait to visit Caeau Glan Mor (NT) and take in this view of Ynys Gorad Goch and Telford's bridge.

The little-visited NT viewpoints along the Menai will soon be enjoyed by Coast Path walkers


Week 2 saw me heading off to South Wales, with working visits to Llanerchaeron and Stackpole - two utterly different but equally fascinating properties.  The main purpose of my trip was to meet the Pembrokeshire team at their Start of Season Meeting.  It was great to meet such a dedicated and enthusiastic team.  One outcome of my presence was that I promised to try (successfully as it turned out) to get Coast Path marathon runner, Ari, to visit my colleagues at the Tudor Merchant's House at Tenby.

On my way back, I called in at Penbryn, one of the hidden gems of Ceredigion.  Although it was already evening, with the sun sinking low over the Irish Sea as I strolled onto the golden sands of the beach, I was pleased to come across the local part-time NT Ranger, Glyn, who spends his evenings keeping this beach clear of litter.  I promised myself that I would return to do the popular dark-skies star-gazing walk that starts here. 

Evening sun on Penbryn beach - Nefoedd!


No comments:

Post a Comment